I suggest you ...

Forced auto-propagation to segments marked as Translated, Confirmed or Proofread (up and down)!

@ https://atrilsolutions.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/4173

▶ Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer

Could you please add an optional feature to propagate to confirmed segments?

An example of why this is needed:

I am currently translating a text with many repetitions. I previously translated a particular segment as

‘First level’ teaching qualifications

However, I now realise that I would like to change all of them to:

‘First level’ teaching qualification

In memoQ, and many other CAT tools, all I have to do is confirm the segment, and the tool will auto-propagate the translation I just entered to any duplicate segments throughout the rest of the document or project, even to segments that are already confirmed. Since this is not possible in DVX3, I always have to remember to manually scan all duplicates at the very end of each project, to check whether they are all the same. This is a waste of time, as I know that they are all the same and should just be changed automatically.

Kind regards,

Michael
▶ Lorenzo Benito 02/14/2017

Have you tried using the function Force Propagate?
Regards,

Lorenzo Benito
Support Department
▶ Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer 02/14/2017

Hi Lorenzo,

Yes, I tried that, but the problem is it doesn't work on segments that have been set to "Translated". However, as I work down through a text, I always confirm segments (using "Confirm segment and move to next untranslated") when I am finished with them, so Force Propagate won't work on any of them.

Michael
▶ Lorenzo Benito 02/15/2017
It turns our Force Propagate specifically excludes segments that are marked as Translated, Confirmed or Proofread. I'm not sure why this design choice was made.
Regards,

Lorenzo Benito
Support Department
▶ Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer 02/15/2017

Hi Lorenzo,
Thanks for looking into this.

Would Atril ever consider changing the current design, or adding an optional switch, allowing the user to change this if they wish?

I would definitely find it very useful if Force Propagate could actually be "forced" to also work on Translated/Confirmed segments. It would then no longer be necessary to filter on duplicates at the end of each project to manually check that all duplicates are consistent.

Regards,

Michael
▶ Lorenzo Benito 02/15/2017

I have added this to our bug tracking system as a suggestion.
Regards,

Lorenzo Benito

28 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael Joseph Wdowiak BeijerMichael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Hélène LemireHélène Lemire commented  · 

That would be wonderful! Especially for large projects.

Feedback and Knowledge Base